What is 'Burikko'?

I went out with my friends this weekend because it was my friends' graduation and met few new people. One of the girls appeared to my as 'Burriko'(ブリッコ)but I couldn't explain to him how I felt about her....I did some Googling but couldn't come up with proper translation.

There is no english word to describe the word and I think this is very unique. Well I think it is the word to describe a person (almost always girls) who pretend to be pretty and cute in order to seek attention from others (almost always from guys lol ).

Usually girls hate this kind of girls and these Burriko girls often does not have many girl friends but many guys are not aware of the fact they are acting or they do not care but they like these kind of girls. I think it can be said in many Asian societies. This Burikko phenomenan(?) has acrossed the ocean to Taiwan, and then to Mainland China mostly through Media. Usually this type of girls are very girly girly and likes to wear Pink....Can you imagine it? I really stand these girls and guys who have no idea.

Talent(タレント), in Japanese context they are TV stars and entertainers who are not exactly singer not actor, such as Hoshino Aki, Sato Tamao, Chiaki and so on. In Taiwan, Ranie Yang would be the typical Burriko type person who spread it to China as well.

Anyway, I told my friend that she is an attention seeker type, he gave me a look that he did not agree. At the time I thought he is one of the guys who have no idea of Burriko but later on I found out that he used to like her!! Oopos!! This guy friend of mine was Taiwanese guy in Australia but he likes Eikura Nana and it shows that he like that girly but sporty type but I think in general that guys cannot seek when girls are faking to be pretty and seek some sorts of attention.

Comments

I know how you feel. At my school all the perfect Koreans do it too. Everyone that happens to not be Korean, Chinese, or Vietnamese refers to all of the burrikos as "the koreans" even if they aren't korean. They pretend to be so perfect, funny, cute, and pretty, making anyone not 'Asian' feel unwelcome. they're always sucking up to the teachers. and all the boys (asian or not) adore them like they really have not clue its all fake. It really annoys me.
Anonymous said…
haters gonna hate
Anonymous said…
maybe...burikko can be translated into a goody-goody or goody-two shoes...
Anonymous said…
You remind me of the guru from Avatar going
"chakra, chakra, everybody loves chakras!"

Popular Posts